Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Eye of the Storm



“You are going to get FAT!” This is what our painter said to me the day we moved in to our new house. Our kitchen is down to the studs & we have a little makeshift microwave and coffee maker station in our new bathroom. Translation: no way to cook! It is a lot like being on permanent vacation- you have to go out to eat, bring in, or make salt-laden things in the microwave. What is a Weight Watchers Wino to do?

Let me take you back to a weight watchers success story- sadly, not mine. When I was living in New Orleans years ago, my neighbor Jenny and I joined weight watchers- the day before Hurricane Katrina hit. Of course, we had no idea what was coming our way. We both remember that our biggest worry the night before we evacuated was how many points we had consumed at the Saints football game. The following day, our lives were changed forever.

On the road, with no kitchen or routine, I fell in to the category of “The Katrina Fifteen.” When we were finally allowed to return home three months later, Jenny had lost 25 pounds. She looked amazing! How had this happened? She said she stuck to the points in her hotel room and tracked. When she went out to eat, she made weight watcher-friendly choices. Hmmm…

Faced with a similar situation in our new home, I stocked our fridge with frozen meals and salad fixins. Our grill is in working order, so Ian has been making chicken and fish for dinner. I can report that I have been spending more points on wine, thanks to the stress that comes with moving. However, I am not gaining The Move Fifteen. Where I could use this life transition as an excuse to over-indulge, I find myself reading labels and thinking about what I eat before I do it. Certainly the kitchenless storm is not over, but unlike storms of the hurricane variety, for this one I was prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment