Friday, February 12, 2010

Third Time's a Charm

As the title would suggest, this is the third time I have tried Weight Watchers. The first two times I joined, I did so online; no real accountability, no real motivation - self or otherwise. I watched my boss at the time go through a major transition with the help of Weight Watchers online and thought, "if he can do it, so can I!"

In his office, he hung up a sheet of paper with a bold, underlined statement that said something about working out and wrote a list of "Do Not Eat" foods. Included on this list, among other things, was:

*Chili from Boudin (not even when hungover!)
*Fried foods
*Butter

Easy enough, I thought. No chili, no fried foods, light on the butter. Done.

I think I told my sister I had joined, as she had also gone through a major transformation with the help of Weight Watchers a few years before. She was encouraging enough, sending me lists of her go-to snacks and recipes. And I was really good for a few days; watched what I ate and tried to exercise, but I didn't have any real motivation, and the plan fizzled a week or two later.

Before even joining for the first time, I remember going home for Christmas after my sister had lost a bunch of weight and not only did everyone swoon over how great she looked, I could tell she felt better. It was a lifestyle change for her, and it didn't seem like it was this daunting task of a diet with all sorts of restrictions and rules. It was simply that she was more conscientious about what she ate, portion size, and making time to work out. She always told me, when she started Weight Watchers, it was the right time in her life to start the program and she was more motivated than ever to stick with it.

After my first failed attempt, I tried again a year later after what I am sure was some grandiose New Year's resolution. I logged on to WeightWatchers.com, entered my credit card information, got access to the tools, and sat back and waited for the pounds to come off. Turns out, the program doesn't work that way.

This time around, I stuck with it for a month or so. Counting points, logging my foods in the tracker, but never really staying accountable for what I was eating. I would estimate and cheat - a burger? Eh, maybe 7-8 points. A few fries? It was just a couple ... I probably shouldn't even count it. And then there's the booze. Need I say more?

I think I told my sister I joined again and this time was it. This time I was going to stick with it. Again, she was encouraging enough, sending me lists of her go-to snacks and recipes. And I was really good for a few days; watched what I ate and tried to exercise, but I didn't have any real motivation, and the plan fizzled a week or two later. Oh, you've heard that story before?

Well you won't be hearing it again.

This time - the third time - is the charm for me. This time, I am accountable. Not only by my friends whom I will see every Wednesday for our weigh in, a meeting, and some low-point sushi. And not only by my girlfriend who is in this with me. But most importantly, I am accountable by myself. To get healthy, work on the strength in my back, lower this high blood pressure that, if I am being honest, scares the bejeezes out of me, and to simply feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment